Back to School Shopping List: The Sustainable Edition
It’s almost that time of year again – back-to-school! As you start to check items off your list, consider how to shop more sustainably this back-to-school season. Did you know that parents spend an average of $600-$800 per child on K-12 back-to-school shopping? That’s a lot of pencils, backpacks, and gear – and it is an opportunity to demand more of the brands we purchase. This school year, we’re looking for brands that are committed to our kids’ future – both by gearing them up for school and taking steps to protect the environment they’ll inherit.
Clothing & Shoes
The most sustainable clothes are those that already exist – so our first choice for back-to-school shopping is always pre-loved. And with more online secondhand shops out there, as well as vibrant peer-to-peer marketplaces, there are more choices than ever when you look to outfit your kiddo in sustainable, pre-loved looks. Our favorites include:
- Bounce Mkt
- Carefully curated collection of pre-loved kids’ clothes that offers used kids’ clothing in great condition, from high-quality brands that you love and trust, in a range of styles, laundered for hygiene, and at great prices.
- Bounce Mkt thoroughly inspects and vets each item so you can rest assured that you’re getting the best of pre-loved; high-quality pieces that are in excellent used condition.
- Strong sustainability-driven mission.
- If you’re a fan of peer-to-peer marketplaces, Kidizen is a great option!
- Big event coming up? Head to the RealReal to get some stellar pre-loved pieces for special occasions.
If you’re going to buy new, opt for sustainable brands that look to reduce their environment impact in the design and production of clothing. A few of favorites include:
- Ten Little Recycled Backpack – Cute and functional backpacks made from 100% recycled textiles.
- LEGO Brick Backpack – Fun and eco-friendly! Colorful, LEGO brick designs and fabric is made from recycled beverage bottles.
- Stasher Bags – perfect reusable bags for lunch and snacks.
- Patagonia Provisions Bamboo Utensils – utensils made from bamboo – a fast growing plant that can be harvested without killing the plant.
Art & Writing Supplies:
- Sprout Plantable Pencils - pencils made of seeds that you can plant once they get too short to use.
- Decomposition Notebooks - made from 100% post-consumer-waste recycled paper – and features beautiful, detailed designs.
- Honeysticks Crayons - uses sustainable, recycled/recyclable and reusable ingredients and packaging.
- Onyx & Green Glue - plant-based glue.
- Wisdom Supply Zero Waste Binder - designed to be recyclable.